Thursday, October 28, 2010

Health Update

For those who don't already know, here is the latest on the health front...

The results from cardiology are in. I have what's referred to as Wenckebach (wenky-bok). In a nutshell it's a type of cardiac arrhythmia. It's also called a second-degree atrioventricular block which refers to a conduction block between the atria and the ventricles leading to periods where the heart rate drops to 30 bpm. I also have periods where the heart rate is over 176 which would indicate the need for a beta-blocker, but this is counter intuitive when a patient also has Wenckebach. So the next step is to determine whether I have Type I or Type II or both and proceed from there.

I return to the clinic in 6 months unless there is a change in my health before then. If there is, then I will go back on the cardiac monitor and they will look at the possibility of a pacemaker. In the mean time, the cardiac team stressed the importance of sleep. That should be an interesting one. Per the cardiologist, I need to consult my rheumatologist to discuss a possible change in medication for the fibromyalgia as it causes dizziness. However, given the choice, I will choose dizziness over fibro pain.

On the Áine front, the past couple of days have been better for her in terms of alertness and more strength, but still severely lacking in actual sleep and her preference remains to be in bed. Still waiting to hear about scheduled date for at-home EEG. She wants to sleep, but can't. And when she does fall asleep, something wakes her. Seizures are the suspected culprit.

In the mean time, we are desperate for sleep so we try another sleep later this week.

John, Brendan, and Ciara are all fine on the health front.

Thank you to everyone for all your support.

1 comment:

Stephanie's Computer said...

I am praying that sleep for the little one and her mama will be coming soon. And for continued good health for your John, Brendan and Ciara. Love you all!!