Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The Red Plate


John and I received the red plate as a wedding present almost 19 years ago. We used it like crazy, now its appearances are few and far between. This year each kidlet used it the night of his or her Back-to-School dinner. Brendan's back to school dinner was BBQ chicken legs and potato salad. The latter being something he would prefer to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner as opposed to the "on special occasions only" rule.

That being said, I put his plate on the table first so it would have time to cool. I then called the clan to the table. Brendan raced to the table first, said grace, and then piled his spoon high with the aforementioned potato salad. I halted him mid-hoist and instructed him to wait until the rest of the family finished the 10 foot trek from the living room to the dining table.

"Oh, crap," my primarily non-verbal baby-faced boy said on a sigh.

I kissed him on the top of his red haired head and thanked him for not choosing any of the other oft-used expressions in the house. Love this boy.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey, when you're hungry those 10 feet to the table seem to take a lifetime.lol Such a gentleman to leave it at crap. :o)

Mary said...

I'm with Mr. B. Don't get between me and my potato salad. :)

Unknown said...

I'd be saying something worse if someone tried to come between me and my German potato salad. :-)